6 steps to a medical license when educated outside the EU or EEA

Home | Get a license | 6 steps to a medical license when educated outside the EU or EEA

6 steps to a medical license when educated outside the EU or EEA

There are 22 healthcare professions where you need a Swedish license before you start working. If your main education is from outside the EU or EEA, you will need to complete a set of courses before applying. This article will guide you through the process from start to finish in six simple steps.

Step 1: Send your education records for review and assessment

The first step to obtain a medical license is to send your education records for assessment. The review, which normally takes about two months, is made by Socialstyrelsen. When you have received a notice that your education is equal to a corresponding education in Sweden, you will be able to continue to step two.

Are you unsure where to begin? Let us help you send in your education for assessment! Contact Cure Staff for more information.

Step 2: Learn Swedish, at level C1

To work within the Swedish healthcare system, you need to speak Swedish, Danish or Norwegian. If you do not speak any of those languages, we recommend you to start studying Swedish as soon as possible.

When you have decided that you want to work in Sweden, you should apply for a language course that meets one of the qualifications below:

  • Swedish at level C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference.

  • Swedish, level 3, or Swedish as a foreign language at Komvux (upper secondary adult education).

  • Other courses or a test proving your language skills are at a level where you could study at a Swedish university or college.

  • Contact a healthcare provider that can assess your linguistic skills in Swedish. They need to document how the assessment was executed.

We provide language classes at level C1, which will qualify you to continue the process to step three – “kunskapsprovet”.

Step 3: Prepare for and pass the proficiency test

If you are a healthcare practitioner with an education from outside the EU or EEA, you will need to complete a proficiency test. This test is also referred to as “kunskapsprovet”. The test proves that you have the clinical and linguistic knowledge to perform your profession in Sweden.

The questions in the proficiency test are specific to your profession. Thus, you will need to prepare with a solid base of knowledge before taking the test.

Passing the test can be a challenge. That is why Cure Staff has developed a tailored curriculum in two parts to serve you with the specific information you need to pass the exam. Without bragging, the results from our program are astonishing:

75 percent of the medical doctors and 99 percent of the nurses attending the Cure Staff’s program pass the test.

Part 1 – Theoretical test

You will have 6 months to prepare for the theoretical part of the exam. Meanwhile, we will examine the most important aspects of the test, look at how your test is evaluated, and look at proficiency tests from previous years. The test is in Swedish but might include reading material in English.

Part 2 – Practical test

During three months, you will prepare for the practical part of the proficiency test. We will examine tests from previous years, and look at medical equipment that is commonly used in Sweden.

Apart from this, we will also practice how to meet patients. This will be a great benefit to you, in understanding how to meet and handle patients. You will be able to practice in discussing Swedish medical terms in a group. This prepares you for the upcoming internship – and within time – job position in Sweden.

Step 4: Learn about applicable laws and regulations

Once you have passed the proficiency test, it is time for a course in Swedish laws and regulations that concerns the healthcare system. This is an online course, provided by Umeå University.

As a part-time course, with 20 hours of study each week, the estimated time to complete the course is 10 weeks. You can complete the course in less time if you are able to study at a higher pace than 50 percent.

Step 5: Start your internship

When you have completed the proficiency test, you are able to apply for an internship. Your profession will determine the length of your internship. Prepare by listing places where you would like to do your internship. Candidates attending Cure Staff’s program are able to ask for help in finding a suitable spot.

  • A 6-month internship applies to e.g; medical doctors, dentists, and pharmacists.

  • A 3-month internship applies to e.g; nurses, optometrists, and physiotherapists.

Your clinical training needs to be with the same employer for a consecutive period. Having previous experience working as a practitioner does not affect the length of the internship.

When you have completed your clinical training, your supervisor needs to issue a certificate that you will sign. Submit this certificate with your application as a last step before obtaining a license.

Step 6: Apply for a medical license

After finishing steps 1-5, you are ready to apply for a medical license. If you have chosen to take the easy road with Cure Staff, we will help you with all practical arrangements before the application.

As the process is quite extensive, it is very important to check which documentation you need to submit. Remember that the documentation required varies depending on your profession.

Make your dreams come true!

Since 2017, Cure Staff has helped hundreds of healthcare professionals to kick-start their careers in Sweden. Your profession will determine what you need to do in each step of the application process.

Are you unsure where to begin? Let Cure Staff support you all the way – contact us for more information on our program to get a medical license.