How to apply for a Swedish medical license

Medical stethoscope twisted in heart shape. Close up

How to apply for a Swedish medical license

There are 22 healthcare professions which require a Swedish license before you are able to start working. In this article you will get to know how to apply for a medical license if you are educated within the EU or EEA. This process also applies to those who have already completed the necessary steps if educated outside of the EU or EEA.

The process is different depending on where you obtained your basic education. If your education took place in the EU/EEA, or you have been working in a EU/EAA country for the past three years, you will not need to take the proficiency test prior to your application.

Please note that documentation, fees, and requirements might differ depending on your profession. When you choose to get licensed through Cure Staff’s program, we will help you through every step of the process.

Documentation needed to apply for a medical license


To obtain a Swedish license, you need to get your qualifications of your profession recognized by the Swedish authorities. You are also required to prove your linguistic skills in Swedish, Danish or Norwegian. If you do not speak any of these languages, we recommend you to start with attending one of our Swedish language courses.

The application process starts at, using a web form or filling in a physical application form. The application must contain:

  • Proof of paid application fee
  • A copy of a valid ID document. This can be a copy of a national ID card or the first page of your passport.
  • Proof of name change, if changed after you completed your education.
  • Proof of language skills.
  • Your diploma.
  • Certificate proving that you are not prohibited to pursue your profession. The certificate needs to be dated less than three months back.
  • Certificate proving that you meet at least one requirement of the stated EU directives for your profession.
  • Documentation of courses, content, and duration of your education.

Do you have a specialist competence?


When applying for a license, there is an option to apply for proof of specialist competence. The fee for proving your specialist competence is the same as the application fee for a standard license. If you want proof of multiple specialist competences, each proof costs the equal of one license fee.

Translate your documentation


You need to find an authorized translator for Swedish or English. The Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet) can provide you with a list of certified translators. If your documents are in English, Swedish, Danish or Norwegian, you do not need to get them translated.

Prove your language skills in Swedish, Danish or Norwegian


Before getting your license, you need to prove that you speak either Swedish, Danish or Norwegian. This applies to everyone, even citizens of the Nordic countries. You need to provide a diploma or certificate as proof of your language skills.

If you do not speak any of these languages, the recommendation is to start by learning Swedish as soon as possible. You will be able to prove your linguistic ability by sending in approved results from:

  • Swedish at level C1
  • Swedish, level 3 from upper secondary adult education (Komvux) or Swedish as a foreign language.
  • Other courses or a test proving you are able to study at a Swedish university or college.
  • Assessment by a health care provider, with clear documentation of how the assessment was executed.

Cure Staff provides Swedish courses according to the Common European Framework of Reference.

Summary: 3 steps to obtain a Swedish license


If your basic education took place in the EU or EEA, the path to get a medical license consists of three steps.

  1. Pay your fees
    Take an image or a copy of your account statement to prove that the payment has been processed. The fee is 870 SEK in 2022 for most professions, with a few exceptions, as stated below:
    – Chiropractor – 2 900 SEK
    – Naprapath – 2 900 SEK
    – Psychologist – 2 900 SEK
    – Psychotherapist – 2 900 SEK
    – Medical doctor – 2 900 SEK if your internship (AT) took place in Sweden. If your internship took place in another country, the fee is 870 SEK.
  2. Show proof of your language skills.
    If you do not speak Swedish, Danish or Norwegian, start to learn Swedish as soon as you decide you would like to work in Sweden.
  3. Apply for your license by submitting all needed documentation.
    Submit all documentation needed, including proof of your linguistic proficiency in Swedish.

When your application is received, it should be processed within four weeks. If your application is not complete, you will be contacted to supplement your application with specified documentation. A decision on your application must be made within four months of completing the application.

Get started with Cure Staff’s language courses!


We provide our international candidates with everything they need to become qualified health practitioners in Sweden. Our program prepares each candidate for future employment in the Swedish healthcare system. Cure Staff will support you in every step of the process!

Sign up for our language courses