Work as a dentist in Sweden

Home | Get a license | Work as a dentist in Sweden
Cure Staff blog dentist-1024x576

Work as a dentist in Sweden

There is a need for dentists in Sweden. But even if you are educated as a dentist, you also need a medical license to be able to practice your profession. This article will explain what you need to do before applying for a license. We will also talk about how to find an internship and employment.

Are you a dentist, educated outside of Sweden?

A dentist is one of many medical professions that require a medical license. If the main part of your education took place outside of the EU/EEA, you need to have your education assessed by the ​​Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare.

You can also apply for a license through additional training at a college or university. However, the number of places is limited. That is why this article’s main focus will be on the route of assessing your education to sign up for a proficiency test.

Let us get started, and we will explain every step you need to take to work as a dentist in Sweden.

Time to assess your education!

We already glared at the first step to get you started: Submitting your education for assessment. Before you send in the documentation, you want to make sure that you have all of the necessary documents translated. The documentation may be in Swedish or English. If you need any documents translated, you need to hire an authorized translator. Make sure to send in all needed documentation in one batch. It might take up to three months before you receive an answer, and if your application isn’t complete, it might take even longer.

So, what documents do you need to send in?

  • The application form for assessment of education abroad, which you can find at

  • A copy of the first page of your passport or a valid national ID from Sweden.

  • Take a copy of your certificate of completed education, such as a diploma.

  • List the courses included in your education. Make sure to write how many hours each course lasted.

If you have changed your name after completing your education, you also need to show proof of that name change.

Do I need to speak Swedish to work as a dentist?

Yes, to apply for a license you need to prove your Swedish skills. You do not need to speak fluent Swedish to get your education assessed. However, the upcoming tests are conducted in Swedish, so you will need to sharpen your linguistic ability.

Cure Staff offers Swedish courses for medical staff. The courses teach you how to speak like a local, as well as words and phrases that are specific to your profession.

Would you like to get started today? Sign up for our next Swedish course.

Get ready for the dentist proficiency test

When your dental education is approved by the National Board of Health and Welfare, it is time to prepare for the mandatory tests. As a dentist, you need to sign up for a proficiency test at Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm.

There is one practical and one theoretical part of the proficiency test, taking place on two different dates.

  • You have 6 hours to complete the theoretical test, which consists of two parts.

  • You need to pass the theoretical test before starting the practical test. The practical test is split into two parts; one observed structured clinical examination, and one clinical test on a phantom patient.

The upside of being a student at Cure Staff is the opportunity to discuss practical questions. We will spend three months preparing for the theoretical test, and six months preparing for the practical test. This is why so many of Cure Staff’s students pass their exams.

With Cure Staff, you do not have to worry about the process, or what you need to do next. Our mission is to support you along the way, from learning Swedish to finding your dream job.

Does a dentist need to know about Swedish laws and regulations?

Even dentists need to stay up to date with Swedish laws and regulations. That is why you need to sign up for a course about laws and regulations at Umeå University. This specific course is 7,5 hp, which corresponds to 5 weeks of full-time studies. You can choose whether you want to study full-time or part-time.

Dentists need 6 months of clinical training

Your clinical training is your time to shine. This is your opportunity to show your practical skills as a dental practitioner. The first step is to find a place for your clinical training. You need to be at the same workplace for at least six months.

Before you can practice as a dental practitioner, you will need special authorization. Your workplace will need to apply for one at least one month before you start your clinical training.

Our advice is to find your internship as soon as you have passed the proficiency test. This way, you will be able to complete the course in laws and regulations, before starting your clinical training.

Last step: Apply for a medical license as a dental practitioner

You have successfully completed all steps necessary in order to apply for your medical license. The medical license will enable you to work as a dental practitioner in Sweden.

Only two more steps to go:

  1. Pay the fee of 870 SEK (2022)

  2. Send in your application with the following documents:

    1. Complete the application form found on the website of the National Board of Health and Welfare (

    2. Attach a copy of the first page of your passport.

    3. Add a copy of a certificate that proves your Swedish proficiency

    4. Obtain a certificate from where you completed your clinical training.

It can take up to 2-4 weeks for the National Board of Health and Welfare to process a complete application. If you need to submit any additional documents, the waiting period might be longer.

Would you like to get started?

Cure Staff is ready to support your ambition, by providing the support and education needed, in order to apply for a medical license. Contact us for more information about our curriculum and offered courses. Together, we will solve the shortage of dentists in Sweden!